The Heavy Metal Matador (rydain) wrote,
The Heavy Metal Matador

  • Mood:
  • Music:


I tried Tabata squats again tonight. I only made it a bit over 2 minutes before I crapped out. My legs will probably scream at me tomorrow, but I'm never going to get better at these unless I just keep doing what I can.

I got a bunch of nifty crap at the fabric store today: a 2'x2' cutting mat (that I laid at the end of my existing mat, resulting in 10 square feet of contiguous gridded w00tness), another blade for my cutter, some assorted notions that will make my life easier (like a magnetic seam guide to run the fabric up against so you don't have to think too much about steering it - now why did I not get anything like that ages ago?) The best part is that most of it was on sale. I love it when I happen to hit the store when stuff I need is cheaper than usual.

I started sewing the surcoat trim yesterday. With the presser foot tension on the "applique" setting (one down from "normal") and the thread tension set to 2, the satin sandwich wound up BEAUTIFULLY smooth. Seriously...I haven't even ironed it yet (just peeked inside at the seam) and it looks mad spiffy. The downside is that this isn't a particularly strong seam, but I don't see why it shouldn't work for a piece that is functionally similar to a collar.

Once I get the rest of the trim prepared and the brocade cut out, I'm going to have a real adventure ahead of me. Because of the collar and bottom trim, this is no ordinary lined vest. I'm intrigued by Sandra Betzina's Gold Medal Lining, which involves sandwiching the individual pattern pieces' layers together (so you don't have to worry about making a perfectly matching inner and outer layer) and somehow assembling the pieces so you can turn the whole shebang right side out and slip stitch the bottom shut and have all the raw edges enclosed, but it won't work for this garment. Short version of my best idea: sandwiching the pattern pieces and partially sewing the edges together (leaving the part with trim and the shoulder and back seams alone), turning the sandwiches, pressing under and sewing the lining along the trim, edgestitching around the sandwiches, putting them together, and binding the shoulder and back seams for a nice finish after the garment is done. That was probably more confusing than anything else. My apologies. I promise to take pictures during the process so I can make a detailed writeup later on (and I hope said writeup is actually illustrative).

My wig will arrive by the second week of April. Pictures will be posted as soon as possible. Weeeeeeee. ^_^
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded