The Heavy Metal Matador (rydain) wrote,
The Heavy Metal Matador
rydain

  • Mood:
  • Music:

*insert cash register sound here*



I got some more mold sanding done. I fucked up and thought it would be a brilliant idea to try to start sanding both layers separately, and then I realized that I had sanded part of the top one in too far, so I finally got off my duff and unearthed my Bondo and stuck them together and started glopping Bondo on the messed-up part. At least it wasn't severely messed up, so I think I only need one or two more applications to build it back up again. I'm going to eventually Bondo the entire thing to give it weight and a smooth, durable surface, so it's no big deal.

I got the jinbaori pattern done, but I'm slightly annoyed because it will take a ludicrous amount of yardage (5 5/8!) to make it. Why? The (nearly dead accurate) brocade I'm using is only 29" wide and its pattern repeats every 7", so I can't fit pattern pieces side by side and be guaranteed that I can match the pattern on all seams. If I weren't anal about matching, I would only require about half the yardage, but I refuse to have fugly sticking out like a sore thumb pattern breaks on the back and sides of this garment.

And I finally found my rivets! FInally! They're the large-headed aluminum pop rivets sold by Wicks Aircraft Supply. The head is perfectly oversized, and the grip length is short. The one problem is that it's not QUITE as short as I hoped (I was looking for 1/8" and these are about 1/4"), so I'm going to have to use something thicker than, say, cotton canvas for the leg armor base. Right now, the best idea I have is to get some armor-weight vegetable-tanned leather, which isn't much thinner than that and can be very easily curved into a shape (which would eliminate the need to put in boning or some sort of other structure, which is what I would have to do with a fabric base). The pieces will then need a backing and border of a smooth fabric so they slide over the jinbaori instead of getting stuck. (The border is there for pertiness and accuracy.) For the backing, I think it would be easiest to quilt or glue some smooth cotton over headliner foam and then stick that on with contact cement. The border will be fun because I'm scared shitless of sewing leather, and I don't think it would be even possible to sew through that thick stuff on the machine. Then again, there's always the contact cement route. Feh...I'll figure it out.

The primer isn't quite done yet. The past few days have been very humid, so I didn't get much chance to spray.
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 2 comments