?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 
 
19 September 2004 @ 01:42 am
Break time!  


I made the pattern for Xiahou Dun's underkimono surcoat thingymabob by tracing one of Rando's button-down shirts and adding about 8 inches to the bottom. I still have to figure out exactly how I'm going to implement the white trim around the top half and bottom edge. I don't think I could just sandwich it on over top of the edges, as the brocade pattern would show through if you looked closely, and that would annoy me. Thus, I think I'll build it into the pattern. Oh, and I found out that the collar piece of a kimono is indeed a separate band that stops at about hip level and leaves a tab of sorts, so yeah, it'll go into the pattern (even if I don't make it a full collar, which I probably won't).

I started on a task that I thought would be easy - basting the rectangular parts of my sash undersides together. I had ironed the pieces down nice and flat and nailed them together with a ton of quilting pins, so no problem, right? Well...satin can be a royal pain in the ass to work with. For some weird reason, crosswise seams behave, but lengthwise ones pucker like crazy. I redid one sash several times, and even after I dug out my Sulky spray stabilizer and stuck the pieces together before sewing them, I still wound up with a few puckers. At least they're small and unnoticeable in anything but the brightest light, which I think is good enough for what basically amounts to lining. Of course, I need to figure out how to reliably sew satin pucker-free, as I'll be making a bunch of costume parts with it that will be seen in bright light, but at least this first attempt turned out reasonably well.
 
 
Current Mood: busybusy
Current Music: Dynasty Warriors 3 OST